Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Saturday May, 15


I had wanted to head out to Squaw Butte, but couldn't recruit anyone else to go flying so I took care of some morning obligations then hiked 8th Street alone. I got there about 45 minutes late. The sky was grey North towards Bogus, but not menacing. I hurried to launch before clouds grew too much and shut things down. Had a heck of a time climbing out, but finally did climb out of the 8th st. launch for the first time. I was sans GPS, but by eyeball I got even with the top of bogus (about 7,300) a couple times - I'm guessing around 3,000 below base.

Look at the morning sounding from the Boise airport. See what happens somewhere between 7 and 8 thousand?
Wind direction changes 180 degrees. Never could get any higher and things seems disorganized. Now, I had failed to note this sheer before heading out so I wasn't looking for it or excuses and it is only a net difference of a few knots. Is that wind direction change really what kept me from climbing higher? Does it really make that much of a difference? Or is it just my inexperience and lame flying. Someone with more experience have a strong opinion?

Notice anything else out of sorts? No inversion in the Boise Valley. When does that ever happen?



I really wanted to go somewhere (maybe the crow) so I pointed things south working the ridge road, tree pockets and the terrain a few times out in front. Pushed bar across wide open spaces as clouds covered the ridge line where I had shot images of Monty kiting this winter. Crossed Rocky Canyon Road, worked a nice little bowl, and hooked back onto the sunny ridge on my way south. Got jammed up just before Lucky Peak/Shaw Mountain Bird observatory/ radio towers. Surfed the ridge for about 10 passes, maintaining, hoping, but not quite able to make it over and around.




Doinky first flight of the year. Into the wind. Felt a little rusty. But super fun and exciting to be in the air again.


Landed out in no-man's-land south of Rocky Canyon road. Packed up, ate some food, hiked out to the road and found the biggest, fruitiest, most flavorful fruit roll up like rose hips I've ever eaten. Great treat.





Got a ride back to St. Luke's Hospital with Chris the hot-dog vendor who works the Egyptian Theatre corner downtown. Thank Chris. I still want to come check out your straw-bale and grain silo houses in Boise County.

Patrick picked me up in town. We returned to my truck, set a shuttle, kicked willow bushes in his tandem for an extended/barely maintaining sledder. Marshal drove up a little late, but gave us a ride back to our rig and Patrick uncovered his beer stash from a snowbank. Great day.


No comments:

Post a Comment